This week in science . . . or rather, what I read this week . . .
- Know how yoga and pilates seem to make you feel more relaxed, but always thought it was kind of woo-woo? Not anymore. Here is evidence showing exactly how strengthening the core muscles leads to a more peaceful mind. Fascinating! Next time you are stressed, don’t try to think or breathe yourself out of it, just do some planks!
- In a similar vein, want to feel happier at work and contribute more? Try singing along to Yellow Submarine.
- An in-progress tear bank will soon help us understand what is actually in our tears, how it varies, and what myriad purposes tears might serve.
- Science questions for the presidential candidates. Apparently, Obama, McCain, and Romney all answered them for the 2008 and 2012 elections. Hopefully our candidates this year will make the Sept 6 deadline.
- And finally, a gaffe! This article claims that mixing an acid and a base will cause an explosion. Not true! It will actually cause the opposite . . . a neutralization of anything dangerous.
And a teaser for next week . . . the discovery of a planet orbiting Proximi Centauri!